Sponsor BGITA Sends 9 USTA Junior Team Tennis Teams, 3 local to State Championship
Local league Coordinator and Coach Robert Brown reports that the 2019 Junior Team Tennis (JTT) is complete at the local league level and that 3 (of 9 total) Effingham County teams will represent SE Georgia at the State Championships held July 19-21 in Macon. One team, the Stars (18 U intermediate div.) coached by Brown, will additionally compete for a birth at Sectional and National Championship held in September at the new USTA facility in Orlando.
The Stars, 30-4 over the last 3 years, come off two undefeated seasons of 8-0 and hold the distinction of winning a State Championship in South Carolina. They seek to be the first team ever to hold title in multiple States.
Joining the Stars will be the Casey Hinely 14 U intermediate Grand Slammers and the second place finishing Stripes also coached by Brown, also 18 U intermediate.
Brunswick Golden Isle Tennis Association sponsors the USTA program which, this year, grew to 235 participants from Hinesville, Statesboro, Richmond Hill, Jesup and Brunswick. Other advancing teams include; Statesboro 14’s intermediate and beginner, Richmond Hill 12 u beginner, 14 u intermediate and 18 u intermediate, Hinesville 18 u intermediate.
Team Members locally;
Stars – Macen Evans, Martin Carper, Clark Heller, Hunter Wainwright, Dakota Wilkes, Kayla Rogers, Madison Farmer, and Grace Brantley
Stripes - (advancing) Lauren Usher, Jameson Schroeder, Hayden Cowart, Mia Vasher, Tate Hendrix, Dylan Geddis, Hanna Sowers, Kennedy Bargeron, Zack Wilkes, Isaiah Scott, Hannah Riccord and Tommy Tapley
Grand Slammers – Caleb McElveen, Brooke Hinely, Reese Heverly, Ryan Rogers, Morgan Kiefer, Riley Metzger. Conner Dickey, Halee Harper and Austin McDonald
JTT, USTA league play for juniors, has 2 seasons and features co-ed singles, doubles, mixed for ages 8u, 10u, 12u, 14u, 18u advanced, intermediate and beginner. Next season which begins Championship year 2020 is in October.
“I am particularly proud that our program has advanced this rapidly. I thank all my coaches, our sponsor, Rincon Rec Program and South Effingham High for court use”. Brown can be reached at 843.290.2833 for more information”.
TOURNAMENT RESULTS• In the men's 4.0 singles final, Raymond Merletti defeated Ted Williams.
• In men's 4.0 doubles, the team of Brett Nobles and Trey Weiss prevailed over Gary Mallard and Jeff Webb.
• The winner in women's 3.0 doubles was the team of Jennifer Lee and Tiziana Snyder with Sharon Petrey and Peaches Thorp earning the runners-up trophies.
• Sandra Eastwick and Sara Fennell won the women's 3.5 doubles over second place finishers Karen Hufnagel and Gail Johnson.
• In women's 4.0 doubles, Cheryl Helton and Molly Wolfe went home with first place trophies with Cynthia Hurd and Jackie Seymour finishing second.
• Bill Harris and Sharon Petrey won the 7.0 combined mixed doubles in a close match against runners-up Skip and Lisa Rimsnider.
• And, in 8.0 combined mixed doubles, Patrick Anderson and Cynthia Stix prevailed over James and Emily Thomasequire an innovative approach.